Original canvas. Metal frame. Manufacturer's marks.
In 1953, Tapiovaara received a traditional African chair from Congo as a present from a friend. He got very excited by the innovative structure of the chair; the seat/back leg element was pushed through the back rest/front leg part, thereby locking it into becoming a solid robust seat. Tapiovaara designed numerous versions based on the structural theme, working with both tubular steel and wood.