Original white lacquered adjustable shade and base, adjustable brass stem and foot, white bakelite push button switch
Provenance: Aarhus City Hall, 1940's.
The first version of the lamp was designed with a foot for fixed installations on the tables in the reading room at Nyborg Library. For Aarhus City Hall another foot was designed so the lamp could be moved, and a version with a different shade was also designed. Both lamps were a permanent feature on the desks in Aarhus City Hall. As far as we know, none of the two lamps have since been in production. Exhibited at the Louisiana Museum in connection with Arne Jacobsen's 100-year anniversary in 2002.
Literature: Jens Lindhe [ed.], "Aarhus City Hall," Arkitektens Forlag 1991, p. 50. Technical drawing of a different lamp with the same foot.
Literature: Felix Solaguren - Beascoa, Arne Jacobsen, Santa & Cole, Spain. p. 66. It has often been discussed, whether Hans J. Wegner can be attributed as the designer of the inventory and furniture of Aarhus City Hall and Nyborg Library. In 1938 Arne Jacobsen and Erik Møller hired the 24-year-old Wegner to design the inventory and furniture of the Aarhus City Hall. Since Aarhus City Hall was not yet finished, Wegner was first assigned to design all the inventory and furniture for Nyborg Library, which Flemming Lassen & Erik Møller had won the competition to build. The fact remains that Wegner has drawn all the lines, even if his name does not appear on the drawings.